Thursday, October 16, 2008

Home Again

After a week back home, I realized that I stayed too long in a foreign country!! 

The timeframe of most activities seems to get longer since people don't give the same importance to time here and for some reason they even do stress more about things (maybe because they are some 30 min LATE) 
The traffic got me on my nerves when the taxi I was riding simply switched lanes so fast and had that turn between two cars.. I was only catching on my breath and trying to focus on other things, but it's that feeling that started me to think that I stayed too long abroad (in a country where cars follow one lane and signal ahead of time to switch lanes) and I am experiencing another reverse culture shock

Walking on the crowded streets with dim lights where people still stare and wonder where you are going with that extra mile, the kind of transportation you are heading to and where you are coming from.... And of course the male companions on the sidewalk have to inform you about their presence and share with you their thought about your eyes, beauty or some insignificant comment about the weather.. The time when a patriarchy shows it's roots in the behavior of SOME men who don't know how to respect a woman in an empty or full stress.

Well, I guess I will simply have to take the time to adjust and get used to the streets. the looks, the lateness, the people and overall culture since it's MY culture after-all !! ummm or I might just take what suits me and not get that much bothered by the other things ... 
 

No comments: